SET YOUR MIND...

"LIVE ON PURPOSE WITH PURPOSE....#HIGHER LEVEL LIVING" (©NIA-JAI)

Wednesday 10 October 2012

"THE QUESTION ISN'T CAN YOU....ITS WILL YOU"


Hey Hey, welcome back loyal readers, this week anyone who follows me on twitter or Facebook will know that I’ve been reflecting on the concept of ‘Self-Control’ in a few different areas of my life, mainly because for the most part I have always been a caution to the wind, go with the moment and let it flow kind of girl but now that I’m fast approaching the exit of my ‘twenteens’ things have started to change. More importantly I have decided to change.

Since the beginning of the year after setting the infamous New Year’s resolutions, I have been on a quest to fulfil them. One of the main goals near the top of my list was to get fitter and lose weight in the process, so I wrote down my body measurements as they were and set new ones that I wanted to achieve, under the premise that ‘if you look better, you’ll feel better and if you feel better then you’ll do better’ but knowing what you want is the easy step its implementing what you ‘NEED’ to do in order to get it that’s hard. For instance I knew I wanted fabulous abs like J-Lo but after having two children I knew it was not going to be easy and that it would take a lot of hard work and dedication. So I joined a fitness class and attended just once a week at first because that’s all I could fit into my hectic schedule but as I gained confidence and started seeing results it gave me the impetus to do more, However I knew I wasn’t at the stage yet where I could push myself to get the results that I was aiming for so I started doing sessions with a personal trainer and literally before I knew it I was addicted to getting fitter, pushing myself and driving forward to beat my previous targets. It fascinated me because when I first started the prospect of completing a 10k challenge seemed so far removed from my reality and now I’m doing 12k challenges which make the 10k seem easy I guess what I am saying is that things can seem hard and out of reach at first but once you get started and gain momentum before you know it you’ve crossed the finish line and are stood wondering whatever made you think you couldn’t do it in the first place. I have to be honest initially when I began workout sessions with #CXF, I was training to look good with the intention of eventually looking good while training ;-) but along the way my aims and thoughts changed. I realised that all the work I was putting in was actually benefiting my overall life full stop. For example when it came to everyday tasks like walking up two flights of stairs with all my shopping  and my prince in hand I was no longer  feeling weak, out of breath or worst still sorry for myself it was apparent my body had changed because now what was once a nightmare suddenly felt easy, (I’d become stronger). Also random things like, feeling happy and silently wanting to high5 myself for not flying down the aisle when the bus jerks because you realise all the core strength training has paid offJ. I started playing outside with my children more than usual because I had more energy and was no longer feeling lethargic or restless.

The results of trying to better myself physically had actually filtered down through to other areas of my life as I started to apply the same principles that I use in the gym to achieve my outcomes. Basically I realised that just as my Personal trainer would say to me  “Don’t give Up, Dig In…this is where you get results” was exactly the same for real life, you can’t just check out when it gets hard. It’s the decisions you make DURING a challenge that count and how you handle a storm whilst in the midst of it that reveals your true strength. Anyone can make the right choice after the event or with hindsight but the difference between success and failure is often SELF-CONTROL whether it’s in terms of your relationships, your career or your personal life.

I knew that when I embarked on the road to health and fitness somewhere along the line my dietary habits would be called into question but as we all do I put it off for as long as possible. To be fair my diet wasn’t all that bad to begin with but I just had few little things that I liked to indulge in i.e. chocolate, carbonated drinks and alcohol. Luckily for me I get heart palpitations when I drink caffeine so red bull and coffee had already been crossed off the list for me; however it was what was going to have to come off next that scared me the most lol. Needless to say it took me a good 6 months or so to finally set the goal for a 28 day detox consisting of #NOALCOHOL and #NOFIZZYDRINKS. I was inspired by the whole ‘STOPtober’ campaign for smokers and decided it was definitely time. 10 days in and I’m doing a lot better than I have in the past  where my withdrawal symptoms would kick in after just 2 days lol, granted I’m not where I need to be but I’m certainly not where I used to be and what seemed unrealistic six months ago now seems attainable with only 18 days left. I think the key is to start small with goals that are achievable then as you start ticking them off and getting more confident up the levels and test yourself you never know what you’re capable of until you try and whatever you do check your motives. Don’t set goals based on what your peers/colleagues are doing or how they’re living, set them according to your wants and desires. If you set your mind about something and you have a genuine reason as to why you’re doing it, the chances are that you will be more likely to successfully complete it.

Ask yourself are you doing what you NEED to, to get what you WANT???

(If you want a body like Kim Kardashian or Kate Moss, Serena Williams or Kelly Rowland….. is eating unhealthily, not exercising regularly and just generally wishing for it really going to get you that????)

If you want a High powered job or just a job in general….. Is not actively looking for one or not honing your existing skills really going to get you that???

If you want a settled loving relationship……is going out every night and getting wasted going to provide that???

….. Kenneth Blanchard said, “There’s a difference between Interest and commitment. When you’re interested in doing something, you do it ONLY if it’s convenient. When you’re committed to doing something, you accept NO excuses only results”

Commitment to finish what you start shows character. We all want a better life but “The difference between WANT and NEED is SELF-CONTROL!!!” DO what you NEED to even when you DON’T FEEL to and #ALWAYSLOVE <3

No comments:

Post a Comment